Spoken Words

"Your thoughts encounter your actions and your succes depends on it."

Thursday, March 20, 2008

This is my first blog talk ever, so it feels a bit weird… I’m not really a person to speak his mind over the internet, but since I’m having a very good reason now, I’ll give it a shot.

17-03-08
In this moment I’m sitting in the empty Shanti lodge, where we are staying for the second time.
The Danish squad (Christian and Morten) accompanied by Bert are in the most obscene street I’ve ever visited, having a well deserved beer and being hassled in to a “ping-pong show”…
It really feels like being in another world when you walk around there and see all the “entrepreneurs” trying to sell you everything from a ring to their own body.
I experienced this feeling once before, when I came from the countryside to the big city of Rotterdam, but when you are in Bangkok, Rotterdam feels like Dalfsen…

18-03-08
This morning we had a reflection talk with Peter and the whole team (except the girls in Phuket).
We talked about the content of the blog, because there were some miscommunications about it.
It was a good thing to do and it’s also part of the reason why I’m doing my first blog report ever and post it on the internet. After that, the talk was about our personal learnings, interests, likes and dislikes on the I-Genius World Summit. My general feeling about the summit is f**king A!!!
I loved the mindset, the luxury and most of all the people and their stories.
After closing down the meeting, I went with Chris, Morten and Olivier to the tailor that is making our tailor-fitted suits (for a special price for you sir, off course) to have our first fit and adjust moment. It was a bit of a weird meet, because we were filming the whole thing and that is something they apparently seriously dislike… but we managed to keep it cool and got the adjustments we were looking for.
Because I was the first one to finish, I joint Olivier (aka Ali Davitsun) to Aeroflot (Russian for Disaster), to get the return tickets fixed. There he heard that his plan to fly back on the 27nd/28th was no longer possible and that he had to join us on the 31st (god be with you my friend).
From the Aeroflot office, me and Ali went to the meeting with Chaiwat where we met with the rest. Completely in line with the Thai culture, it started with food (you can call it a small miracle that not 90% of the Thai population is obese, they eat so much). The meeting was very well prepared, with translators for the non-Thai speaking attendees. Chaiwat and his team explained the concept that he want to create and divided the rolls. Bert, Chris and me desisted to work on this project in the name of KPNL. Afterwards we had a nice deserved drink and bite near Sara and Mark’s place and I ended the night with a Skype meeting with my favorite girl in the world.

19-03-08
At 10.00 o’clock we went to the warehouse where the “ufafabrik” (Chaiwat’s creative space) is going to be. We had a team of the KTB bank (who owns the place) waiting for us. They explained how it was functioning now and gave us the facts and figures. The total area is 4500m2 and has his own parking-lot, 12 gigantic warehouses and a private dock. It looked like a sight that could be in the harbor of R’dam. Because we were a group of Europeans, getting a tour from a bank, I really felt like a rich investor (while I am a poor student haha…).



At 13.00h we met with Dev and his team from TRN (we’ve met his at the Summit).
He planned a great meeting with the group young Thai entrepreneurs that TRN support, Ben Happel who is doing his PhD in Bangkok on social entrepreneurship (also met at the summit), people from WbYc and the KaosPilots from Ollanda. Peter explained the theory of our school, Sunit from TRN did the same for their company and afterwards we helped the young Thai entrepreneurs with feedback and brainstorming on their company ideas. After the meeting, that ended around 20.00h, I went home with Bert, Chris, Karin and Peter. The last two joint up with Dev’s team later that night, to visit one of the project of TRN in Burirum (North-East Thailand) and we partied the rest of the night ;-)!

20-03-08
Today I slept for more than 5 hours!!! That might sound logic, but that was my average amount of sleep for the last week… we started off with a nice English/Thai breakfast and went to our meeting with the Bangkok-forum at 2pm. We had a good meeting to clarify the expectations towards us and seek the focus area where our contribution was most needed. After that we went to the little square across the street, where a anti-drug event was going on. We enjoyed the free food (5 plates eights, we’re still Dutch -> if it’s free, I’ll take two!, but I unpleasantly surprised that the soup contained chickenfeed) , and had a nice talk about the Thai culture, rituals, politics and a private island to have our last week of vacation. We met by pure coincident another person from the summit, professor Kriengsak, who wants to run for governor of Bangkok in October.
And now I’m back to the present. Sitting in the place where my blog report started, Shanti lodge, only this time not alone, but with my super teammates Chris and Bert which are gonna rock and roll with me to have a good presentation tomorrow.

Peace